Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thirteen pages of history of Spain GOLD

Por fin. I have learned all of Spain's history in approximately 2 weeks. I also managed to jot down 13 pages or so of this history in Spanish. I hope my teachers don't see this, but this is the looooongest I have ever spent writing a paper. Embarrassing you ask? Almost 16 years of academics. No way, José.

I trapped myself in the library. And I even did the unthinkable....I SPENT MY ENTIRE SATURDAY THERE. I didn't think I had it in me. The curriculum is a little different in Spain. Your entire grade depends on 1) the midterm and 2) the final exam. And since I was stuck in God-forsaken France with the blizzard of 2010 and all of it's one and a half feet of snow and missed the midterm, things weren't in my favor.

I should also mention the libraries in Spain are a little different than those in the good ole US of A. No. One. Utters. A. Word. I'm also 99% sure that the reason the natives didn't want to share a table with me is because I type too loudly. That's right. A simple finger stroke is TOO LOUD. It made for good stories after some late nights when the other loud typers (a.k.a. Americans) and I would gather at the local bar to trade stories.

Here's a picture of Tracey y yo, ready to turn our papers in!
And here's where we were 20 minutes later. Dos margaritas, por favor. 

The loud typers and I chose to let loose that weekend. So we spent it at the local art museum, eating delicious food, Fería de Abril, and watching the light show at the fountains. If I haven't mentioned before, I legit am in love with those fountains. I've been all over the world and those fountains are top five.

The local art museum, Fundació Jaon Miró, sat on top of the Montjuic (a mountain, if you donn't speak Catalan) and looked out into the Mediterranean and the rest of the city. Gorgeous? Hah, just a little.

It should be noted that as we were waiting outside to get in the museum, a monsoon came through. And by monsoon I mean large rain drops and necessary to take shelter.

We thought it was appropriate and sunny enough to spend the remainder of our day walking around Montjuic and heading to the beach. Finally, after 5 months, and hearing "the weather is normally never like this," it was sunny in Barcelona.

Bright and early Saturday morning Tracey and I headed down to the university area to explore and do things that we have been talking about for the past five months. We started out on our adventure for the best chocolate in Barcelona. It 'twas delish indeed, but left few Euros in my wallet. Womp. As we were dining on fine chocolate at 10 a.m. we noticed a large crowd outside of the church across the way.

We jumped on the bandwagon and waited for what the crowd was waiting for...natives in large costumes...dancing outside of the church. Tracey and I were not only distraught, but hot because of this fluke sunny Barcelona weather. We were also hungry and decided it was lunchtime.


We ate the BEST lunch ever. Maybe it was because we were so hungry, but we firmly believe it's because the food was just THAT good. The restaurant was called "Cheese Me."

We knew they would be accepting of our American taste buds. We sat outside and drank delicious sangria. We ate salad which had dressing from the Gods. And the main course....was this...words can't describe it. My mouth is watering. I can't take this. SOMEONE, BRING CHEESE ME TO THE UNITED STATES!

The rest of the day is a blur. Cheese Me was too delicious. It's more than likely that Tracey and I went home, laid on our beds and fell asleep with a big grin on our faces. 

The following day we had BIG plans. Our day was going to be filled with nothing but Spain culture. Tracey and I met up with Sam, Jordan and Danielle, some great year-longers from our program (Sam, Jordan and I are also good friends at Etown). Señoras spend an entire year preparing for the Fería de Abril. A Flamenco festival with lights, delicious food, a fair and well, flamenco. Below are the lights, which are not impressive in the slightest bit in the day time, but at night- Ay, díos mío. 
So we spent the day pondering whether or not we actually needed a flamenco dress in our closet. 

We also practiced our own flamenco and taught our fellow Americans what to do if in a flamenco battle among a native. 

I was also able to meet up with a friend from Etown. And being the typical college student that I am, we didn't take one picture together. Two perks when traveling with parents: 1) you have pictures with anyone and everyone you came in contact and 2) they pay for everything!

I took her to the fountains, the greatest and #1 thing you should do in Barcelona. And this is the only picture I have from that evening that is of an actual human being. And no, I'm not putting up a picture of the fountains because I can't pick just one. 
If you haven't heard of the Fuents Magícos (a.k.a. Magic Fountains) let me tell you. They last two hours long and light up the Palau Real (Royal Palace). I think I was almost on my knees and in tears at the end of the Disney soundtrack night. Lights are everywhere. Music is everywhere. It's amazing to say the least. 

All in all, a successful weekend full of Barcelona. And I'm not going to lie, it felt kind of good to not travel on another RyanAir flight. 

Okay, I give in...here's one (blurry) photo that gets most of the point across. 



To check out all of the photos, check out the flickr album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chasecarrie/sets/72157623875605543/

No comments:

Post a Comment